Monday, June 16, 2014

Leukemia - End of Medicine


After two long years, the final day of Jemma's Leukemia treatment is scheduled for 18-June. This means that she will stop taking chemotherapy pills and her immune system will be allowed to build itself back up. She will have a series of doctors visits where her ears, nose, throat, heart, kidneys and other organs will be checked to see if they suffered damage due to the Leukemia Treatment. Once her immune system is stable, she will begin a vaccination schedule similar to what newborns get.

Throughout this ordeal we have received encouragement and support from many people. Our local community has shown great compassion for Jemma's situation, and we remain greatly appreciative of the Lotto Elf event that was organized last year.  In addition to the financial help, the event provided us a great emotional lift.

Jemma has recovered well and her future is very bright. She is performing well in her schooling and she enjoys all of the activities that normal 7-year-olds enjoy, especially swimming, dance, and Thursday gym class with Herr Peter.


Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive.

12 comments:

  1. What a happy, happy time! I went to my oncologist today and things are going well for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA! How exciting to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I've ever commented here before, but as a fellow homeschooling mom who also happens to have a son that is two years in remission from leukemia (AML), I just have to let you know how happy I am to see this good news! I love your style of homeschooling and admire the way you've kept up the good work through a difficult time in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah! What lovely news - so happy for your family and especially Jemma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comments really mean a lot to me today. Last year when Jemma's medicine was reduced I went through a difficult time mentally - post traumatic stress disorder. I'm scared to death about her medicine being reduced again and scared I will experience the same emotions as last summer. You comments remind me that this is good news. I know medicine can heal, but also can be difficult on other body organs. I'm happy we're moving forward, just a little nervous at the same time. - Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news! I wish you all the best during this transition period.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great! Congratulations and prayers for continued good health!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news :) So pleased to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I posted the news to CGH board so others will know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting this blog. I have had a couple of friends go thru similar experiences that took them by surprise in the middle of life, homeschooling, and kids. Have passed on to one such friend. It always helps to hear another voice out there that has been where you are..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can help, but always feel sad to hear of anyone going through this type of experience. I wish you and your friends the best.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...