Monday, October 28, 2013

A Break from School

After completing nine weeks of school we are taking a week off. Here's what's been going on........

At breakfast we listened to two chapters of Our Island Story which is a narrative book covering the history of the United Kingdom, written for children. Since it's in the public domain, we downloaded it from Librivox into iTunes and played it on the iPad. The kids love this book and beg for it each morning. Today's chapters were about King Arthur.


The girls and I sewed some animal hats following Simplicity Misses and Childs Hats Sewing Pattern 1953, Size A (S - L / S - L). (For us this was a three day project and is not quite complete.)

While my husband and son put together a wooden corner bookshelf. (This was Sunday's big project.)

By building this ramp, my son figured out how to drive the remote control car onto the couch. It took several versions and test to make it work properly.

We played a few games of the intense strategy game Blokus.

Over lunch the kids were fascinated by the video How the Earth was Made: Sahara Desert.

On our morning break we gathered more apples and walnuts which we shared in the afternoon at history co-op.

Looking at this post it sounds a lot like school, but I didn't read to the kids, we didn't sit down and write together, we didn't play or practice piano and we didn't do any formal math lessons. The kids loved their day off and are looking forward to the rest of the week. So am I!

As for Jemma, she's doing well and we plan to visit the hospital next Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely a lot of learning going on there! Sounds like a lovely break.
    The animal hats look very cute. I am so impressed you can make them let alone your girls! I'm glad Jemma is doing well. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a very busy and fruitful few days, despite having no formal lessons. Just goes to show that learning occurs in so many different ways. I think the animal hat is very cute. Blokus looks like a mind-boggling game. I think I'll put it on my Christmas list. :-) Good to know that Jemma is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that your son is very interested in strategy, I think he would really like Blokus.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...