Monday, March 25, 2013

Leukemia - How is Jemma? - Maintenance Week 2

We finished up this year's History Co-op with our last lesson on Persia and Jemma got to go. Last year she attended all of the lessons except for the last Ancient China unit. At our friends house she chatted and bounced around the entire time. The tennis club held the annual torch walk and Jemma was able to attend that too. While she downed her Wurstchen mit Brot at the tennis torch walk her face held a beautiful smile of satisfaction. This was the first time she has been allowed to leave the house to go somewhere other than the hospital or outside to play in nine months.

As our life takes a step in a more normal direction I feel so much like I have just brought my new baby out of the house for the first time. I want this. We all want this, yet I'm somewhat paranoid for her to touch anything. Armed with hand sanitizer and slow and controlled breathing I watch and cringe hoping she won't catch an illness. As we begin venturing more places and she remains healthy I'm sure this will get easier. For now we are taking baby steps. Maybe in a few weeks I'll be ready for a trip to the grocery store....... or maybe not.

Today we went to the hospital for a blood check and after one week on her new medication Jemma's immune system was a little lower then desired. Compared to how it has been, the numbers looked great. Nevertheless, her dosage was reduced for the week and will be adjusted again next week.


6 comments:

  1. I've been stalking your blog for long enough. Time to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Michelle, another American, homeschooling mom in Germany. Hooray for small steps. Glad Jemma is returning to a (new) place of normalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be hard to not worry about everything but seeing Jemma's smile return has been a real treat to see on your blog. I am so glad she is doing well and you all came through it together.

    I love your posts on the the way the body works. I plan on ordering this book for next year and work on it with my kids and using some of your great ideas:) to go with it

    lastly, I have manage to beat the legend speed on the ipad for all numbers, kids are at the 3rd level. The game has been a big hit I have been trying to get the word out for you to people I know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. I'll let my husband know you beat him on Speed!

      I'm glad to know you are getting ideas from the human body book. We are still doing human body projects. I was hoping to finish by the end of the year, but I counted 7 weeks of school and 10 projects I want to do. We'll probably end with a few at the beginning of next year. We can't cut out the brain or eyes after all!

      Delete
  3. I'm so pleased Jemma's finally able to go out but it must be such an anxious time for you with her immunity. It's wonderful how you've shared your journey, I'm sure it is and will be a huge support to so many other families going through this. You are all in my prayers.

    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each and every time someone signs up to follow my pinterst Leukemia board I feel sad. This is such a difficult thing for families to have to go through, but I do hope Jemma's experience can help others.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...