Friday, January 25, 2013

Leukemia - You are not alone

When going through a crisis it is very normal to feel alone. Since Jemma began treatment I have been contacted by several families with relatives receiving Leukemia treatment. Although they are scattered around the world and Leukemia is a rare illness, illness and sickness is unfortunately all too common.

When one person goes through a long-term illness, it can effect several others. There are many people who have a family member who has gone through cancer treatment, been through bed rest with a pregnancy, born a premature infant, suffered a stroke, been faced with kidney disease or recovered from a heart attack. I can personally name friends who have dealt with each of the medical issues I mentioned above.

Although the medical issues and treatments are quite different, they all can have similar effects on family members. We worry about how everything will turn out, struggle to keep up with housework, and accept help caring for children. No medical emergency is easy to deal with, and it's hard to cope when life is out of our control. But so many people have been through tough times and they do understand. Some people are good listeners, some good cooks, some good friends and some are just all things good. Many people offer help because they have had difficult times in their own past and remember those who helped them. Accepting help can be very difficult. It is for me, but accepting help does make things easier.

If you are going through a family crisis just remember, you are quite the opposite of alone.



TheBetterMom.com The Chicken Chick

8 comments:

  1. What a blessing that your have family all over the world that is willing to do what they can to help. It is tough sometimes to accept help from others, but it is always comforting to know that your family will be there.

    Thank you for sharing your family's journey. You all are in good hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so very true, if you're in a crisis you really are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter had to go to the ER yesterday, and it turned out that she was just fine. I thought of you though because a mom in the elevator told me that she was going down to the car to get her suitcase because her son was being admitted again. I gave God praise right then and there that I was leaving with my daughter and her sippy of Pedialyte. My prayers are with you, and so many families have to go through such difficult circumstances. God has a plan and a purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All medical emergencies are scary for parents. I'm glad you were able to go home and your daughter is getting better.

      Delete
  4. Amen!! We are praying for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we were going through our minor (compared to Jemma) crisis in Africa I did think of you and Jemma a lot during those early morning hours. While our crisis was short lived and I know yours is not, but we keep your family in our daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we felt the same feeling. Worry, helplessness and not knowing what the future holds. I would have been just as scared. I'm glad your crisis has passed and everyone is healthy.

      Delete
  6. We pray over here in England for your little girl and my heart goes out to you her mummy. Take care all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...