Saturday, October 6, 2012

Leukemia - Knitting

With Grandma leaving I want to say THANK YOU. We appreciated your help and enjoyed having you stay with us. We will miss you, and most of all we will miss your help with knitting and sewing.

Knitting is a hobby that can truly span generations to bring people together. Grandma learned to knit when she was 10 years old from a neighbor. She wanted a hat with a tassel and couldn't afford it. The neighbor taught her to knit, she got her hat and a gained a hobby that would last a lifetime.


Grandma taught my daughter to knit when she was 6 years old. We all thought she was too young, but she wanted to learn so grandma tried. Well she not only did it, she loved it. She has made legwarmers, hats, headbands and doll clothes. Now she is working on her first fair isle project.


I actually learned about 6 months after my daughter and really enjoy knitting too. My first project was about 4 inches wide and 10 inches long. It was a piece of knitting with no real purpose except to teach me all the different stitches. When that was finished I made a hat which required knitting, purling and decreasing. Since I wanted to use some of the stitches I had learned, my second project was a cable knit sweater. It was wearable, but let's just say I learned a lot.


Jemma is already sewing by hand and with the machine. She can knit with the knifty knitter. Soon it will be her turn to learn to knit and this hobby will be officially passed on.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you MOM has to leave but glad she taught you knitting. I am trying to learn the cable stitch and not having any luck. I love the knit loom for making hats:) One day I will have to take a knitting class

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...