Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Drawing Pictures

Photobucket
Since my children were very young I have made crayons and paper readily available to them. It is stored so they can help themselves in the room where we spend the majority of our time. It's amazing how the activity of coloring never gets old.

In addition, I believe coloring is an essential pre-writing skill. Children tell stories through their writing and strengthen those fine motor muscles. As you can see, my five year old is obsessed with dancing. These are drawings of actual people from our dance club. You can see photos of many of the real people by looking at Fasching located under German Living Topics on the right-hand side of this blog.

Because her written language skills are not yet developed, drawings are her method of writing. Each picture tells a story which includes many details. Learing to write includes learning to transfer the details in the pictures to written language.

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures. My daughter loves to draw as well, my son not so much but I am trying to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up at Homeschool FreeBEE Friday. Love the binder idea for pictures as my kids' are in Banker boxes at the moment. Hope to get more organized soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pictures! Thanks for sharing with BTT!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...