Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cooking - Sweet Potato Buns

A homeschooling friend once told me that cooking was a great activity for kids. She said you could assign them a meal to cook each week, have each child help you on a designated day, or just encourage them to cook.  She also said that they would get such a great sense of satisfaction providing food for the family...... and she was right. Regardless of the way you incorporate cooking into your household there are many benefits. My kids love cooking!

This week the kids decided to make Sweet Potato Buns from Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook. I truely believe this is the only cookbook you will ever need.

First they had to chop, cook and mash a sweet potato. (They substituted a yam.)

The recipe called for zest of orange.

They mixed the mashed yams, orange zest, tofu, flour, maple syrup, yeast, cinnamon, orange juice, egg, oil and water.

They kneeded the dough and let it rise.

Then they baked the buns and enjoyed them immensely. I love it when they choose to make bread because they learn how it is a very long and time-consuming process. It also helps them to understand history and how cultures of the past spent nearly all of their time and efforts focusing on food.

Sciencesparks3 Photobucket Hearth & Soul Hop

* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! LOVE sweet potato/yam! Wonder if our library has this book? Thanks for stopping by! We LOVE Nutella too! LOL I've heard that it's popular in Europe.I've finding LOTS of recipes using it on Pinterest. (You can't go wrong with it! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, kids get so much out of cooking and baking! Now every time I go into the kitchen my son wants to know what we are making! And their buns look great - I would never have thought to use tofu in baking bread :-) Thanks for sharing on Happy lil ❤'s are baking x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the photos of your kids in the kitchen!! My girls love cooking too...it's one of our favorite things to do together. Thanks for sharing a new way to use sweet potatoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they look yummy and i would never have thought of using sweet potato! Your kids looked like they had great fun!


    Thanks for linking to science sparks Fun Sparks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those look great. I love all the educational opportunities in the kitchen!
    Thank you so much for linking these up at Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen. Sorry it took me so long to stop by. The baby makes it near impossible to get things done.
    I hope it is okay if I pin these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids definitely love cooking, and it really is so educational! Those sweet potato buns look really good, and it looks like there was quite a lot of fun to be had making them as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...