Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cooking - Apple Crisp

We tend to be very busy as are many homeschoolers. In an effort to slow down a bit, I thought it would be fun for the kids to watch an educational movie on Fridays when their school work for the week was finished. The kids really enjoyed this for several weeks, and then one week they asked me if they could cook instead. Now they cook every Friday.


This week they decided to surprise us with apple crisp for breakfast.
 First they spread apples, rasins and cinnamon in a pan.
 
 Then they mixed musli, oat bran (instead of wheat germ), butter, honey and cinnamon.
They put the dry mixture on top of the apple mixture and baked it.

This recipe came from Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook. It is a four-pound book with over 1,500 recipes. The book is packed with reference information such as shopping tips, substitutions, meatless cooking, drying and sprouting, making sauces and salad dressings, and buying and handling of meats and nuts and so much more. I truely believe it is the only cookbook you will ever need.

Hearth & Soul Hop Tots and Me

* I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation. I'm just a homeschooling mom who has found many products that I like. If you're interested in the products I recommend on this blog I want to make it easy for you to find them. 
** I am an Amazon associate and receive a small portion of the sales on orders made after clicking in from this site, which I promptly spend on homeschooling books and supplies for my children.

4 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy!! I love apple crisp so much too. It must have been so exciting to hear that the kids would prefer to do a family activity rather then watching a movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! That looks really tasty - I've never come across apple crisp before, so thanks for sharing :-) And I love that they would rather bake then watch tv!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was amazed especially since that is their only video watching opportunity each week. They told me it was a waste of time. - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids aren't much into videos either. On one of our moves, I put on videos each afternoon while I packed. The first couple of days they enjoyed it, but then they realized I was using the videos to keep them out of the way and they called my husband and siad, "Mom's making us watch videos". :) My kids do love taking over the kitchen too. The apple crisp looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...